This is a reader supported Website. By clicking on Amazon affiliate product links or other affiliate links, you help us keep producing independent objective analysis at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!
- 1 What is the Best Knee Joint Supplement for Knee Nutrition and Healing?
- 2 Turmeric – Spice as Medicine?
- 3 6 Top Brands of Joint Supplement Capsules and Pills
- 5 Omega 3 Oil (Fish and Vegetarian)
- 6 Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
- 7 Other Supplements for Knee Pain Relief and Recovery
- 8 What I Use Personally for My Turmeric and Vitamin D–Liposomal Liquid Supplements
- 9 Conclusion – The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Pain Sold on Amazon
- 10 Knee Pain Supplement FAQ
What is the Best Knee Joint Supplement for Knee Nutrition and Healing?
best supplements for knee pain
How to buy the best joint health supplements? There are actually THOUSANDS of knee joint supplements available. For example, they may be sold as private brands on their own website or in retail shops like CVS, GNC, Costco, or a local supermarket or health food store.
How to make sense of over 10,000 choices??? And that doesn’t count excellent products that are not even sold on Amazon. For a sneak preview of some of the supplements to be reviewed here, see this chart:
Last update on 2021-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
So, these were the criteria used to choose what we consider the top 6 best joint nutritional supplements for knee pain relief and recovery:
- They are extremely popular– in a search in the biggest marketplace online, these are some of Amazon’s top sellers with high reviews
- Well known reputable brands
- Diversity and quality of ingredients, and overall value
Given these main categories, let’s dive in and take a closer look. First, let’s take a look at one of the most popular ingredients is supplements: Turmeric.
Turmeric – Spice as Medicine?
In comparison to other popular joint health supplements, Turmeric, a spice used in curries, has soothing properties due to its active anti-inflammatory factor Curcumin, which helps to reduce joint pain. Many joint supplements contain this excellent herbal medicine and spice. So, you might consider just buying some turmeric powder at your supermarket or natural foods store.
If you do that, it’s cheaper than the turmeric that’s made into capsules. On the other hand, if you don’t want to take the time to cook with turmeric, don’t like the taste or whatever, you can just buy capsules. You can read the reviews of them in this article. Turmeric in supplement form also may be more potent since they extract the active components.
If you like curries and spicy foods, you can purchase it in bulk at Asian markets at 1/10 of the price that it is sold for in grocery stores and supermarkets. But if you can’t find it in bulk locally, you can just go to Amazon and pick up a bag for a great price. Click on the image to check further.
Buy a pound of turmeric at a time, and it’ll last you up to a few months–and that’s using it every day. Try it as a smoothie! Go here for the recipe.
Oh – just one thing. If you use turmeric as a spice for its anti-inflammatory and other health benefits, keep in mind that it does not absorb so well into your body, UNLESS you take some black pepper with it. And it works well if taken with some oil, such as in stir fried vegetables.
So, you can do the same thing to buy in bulk–much cheaper than buying in small quantities, and it lasts a long time. Here is the best choice for bulk black pepper on Amazon:
6 Top Brands of Joint Supplement Capsules and Pills
BioSchwartz Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine
BioSchwartz Brand Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine has just three ingredients:
- Turmeric Root (Curcuma Longa Root)
- Turmeric Extract
- Black Pepper Fruit (peppercorns) Extract, known as Bioperine
Among its key advantages are:
- Extremely high-quality control – Its suppliers and manufacturing is conscientious and meticulous
- Tested to be free of toxic heavy metals, and it’s also gluten and allergen-free
- Made in the USA and tested for quality by third parties
Their disclaimer notes:
‘This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.’ You’ll find a similar disclaimer for all such supplements, per US government regulations.
- Very high ratings, high-quality product
- Reasonably Priced with discounts available for bulk or subscription purchases
- For those who want a more comprehensive approach, other products have additional helpful ingredients
If you are looking for a basic, reasonably priced capsule form of turmeric with added extract and just the right amount of black pepper to allow your body to absorb it easily, then this is the product for you. Click here to visit the Schwartz Brand Turmeric with Bioperine page.
Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM
Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM supplement includes turmeric, as well as has several other joint repair and pain relief components. See the list below.
- Glucosamine Sulfate (1500 mg)
- Boswellia Extract (200 mg)
- Chondroitin Sulfate (150 mg)
- Turmeric (150 mg)
- Quercetin (25 mg) – anti-inflammatory and pain reliever
- Methionine (25 mg) – to facilitate Sulphur production for cartilage building
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, 25 mg)
- Bromelain (25 mg)
- Anti-inflammatory and/or Pain Reliever = Boswellia + chondroitin sulfate + turmeric + quercetin + MSM + bromelain = 575 mg
- Joint Lubrication, Repair, and Regeneration = glucosamine sulfate + methionine = 1525 mg
- Supports joint repair and regeneration
- Provides pain relief
- Reduces inflammation
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are two of the most common joint repair supplements.
The two together have shown indications of actually aiding the growth of cartilage in joints. For those whose cartilage is worn or nearly gone, that can be a big factor in these two naturally occurring chemicals’ favor.
For more details on their activity, go here, for a discussion of Glucosamine/Chondroitin in The Best Joint Supplement Ingredients for Knee Pain Relief.
The formula comes from all-natural ingredients, is non-GMO, nondairy, non-gluten, and is made in the USA, although some ingredients come from overseas.
- In addition to turmeric, as discussed above, it has several other joint-friendly factors
- Less pain-relieving impact compared to other supplements
- Only two joint repairing ingredients
- Unlike BioSchwartz, it contains only turmeric root extract, but no turmeric root
The Vimerson Health glucosamine chondroitin with MSM supplement is commendable for covering the basics of joint health. The combination of glucosamine sulfate, Boswellia, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and bromelain means it has several anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and joint repairing and regenerating effects.
It provides six ingredients that are beneficial for joints, plus turmeric, the spice, and a small amount of bromelain, which comes from pineapple. It does not include vitamins and minerals beneficial for joint health. As for turmeric and bromelain, you can also buy them as foods, since both add flavor and joy to your cooking.
However, if you don’t necessarily eat turmeric spice as well as pineapple every day, Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric and MSM is an excellent daily supplement to your regular (hopefully healthy, minimally junk food) diet.
We can say, of course, that a proper diet will have all the vitamins and minerals we need. But we may need more than the ‘so-called’ minimum daily requirement. Overall, a good product.
Omega 3 Oil (Fish and Vegetarian)
1. Wild Alaskan Fish Oil by Sports Research
Omega 3 Oil is one of the most essential oils for health. It helps both joints, skin, and cardiac health. Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil has a stunning 88% 4.8-star rating, and over 800 reviews. Its page points out that wild-caught pollock from the frigid Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska give the fish their superior oil, which is then made into easy to swallow capsules. Plus, it has a rating of IFOS, the International Fish Oil Standard, of 5.
Given its high rating, and obvious popularity, what’s not to like? Well, not much.
However, I had a couple of concerns that cause me to offer an alternative for you to check out. The Sports Research information points out that many fish oil supplements are made of mixed quality oils that may have limited benefits. That is true.
So if you’re in the market for a good Omega 3 supplement from fish, you’re on the right track with the Sports Research Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil. Here are two things to carefully consider:
- While farmed fish has oil, studies show that they are fed so many antibiotics and dead fish meal, that they have a lot of toxins…not Good. That makes wild fish superior. However, wild fish populations are in decline, seriously. So if there is a way to get our Omega 3 without reducing the wild fish population, we should consider it.
- Second is an issue that nobody wants to talk about: Radiation.
In 2011, the nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan, melted down spewing tons of highly radioactive material into the Pacific Ocean. There are conflicting studies, ranging from ‘the danger has passed’ fish is perfectly safe to eat,’ to ‘there is a mass die-off of fish and other animals who eat fish, in the wake of mass radiation poisoning.
So, who’s right? Here are a couple of links, so if you want to check this issue out, and decide for yourself.
So, what is the alternative? Flaxseed oil. Here is a Harvard University study regarding plant-based versus fish based Omega 3 oil. If you decide that you want to include Omega 3’s into your supplement list, then the best choice would probably be Naturwise.
2. NatureWise Organic Flaxseed Oil
As you can see, Naturwise Organic Flaxseed Oil also has a very high rating and lots of reviews, so it’s a good bet for your hard-earned money. The benefits are similar to Fish Oil Omega 3 oil; however, they’re not quite the same. As this study from University Health News points out:
<<“..no human studies have shown that intake of vegetarian omega-3 sources (ALA) plus certain vitamins, like vitamin B6, leads to optimal levels of EPA and DHA inside the body’s cells and tissues. Therefore, direct dietary intake of omega-3 fats rich in EPA and DHA through food or supplements is the most beneficial…”>>
Nevertheless, given the concerns related to contamination in wild fish and their declining populations, and the rising interest in vegetarian diets, I felt it’s a good idea to feature an excellent vegetarian alternative.
What do you think? One last point is that the Harvard Study didn’t mention joint health as a factor in Omega 3. To put that doubt to rest, see this article in Web MD: “Supplements for Arthritis and Joint Pain.”
- Good quality fish oil clearly shows positive outcomes for heart and joint health
- Flaxseed may also have good effects because it does contain Omega 3.
- Flaxseed is organic and vegetarian, so it has no discernible risks
- There is some possibility of contamination of ocean-based fish oils
- Fish populations are declining
- Flaxseed does not seem to be as efficient as fish oil in delivering the right DHA and EPA to your body
Well, I suppose if you have read this far, you expect me to tell you what to do and what to buy if you’re interested in Omega 3’s as an anti-inflammatory for your joint pain. What I can say is that here are all the facts laid out for you.
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
Collagen is the most common protein in our body, but over time as we age, it diminishes. That is most likely one of the factors in wrinkles, sore joints, and other health issues, such as muscle weakening, and even heart health.
By supplying extra collagen, we can improve our knee health, as well as the other parts of our body. Pretty compelling, don’t you think?
Here are the main features of Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
- Derived from 5 kinds of collagen–Grass-Fed Beef, Chicken, Fish, Eggshell Membrane (the inner ‘skin’ inside the eggshell), and Bird Sternum (the sternum is the ‘chest bone’ at the base of your ribs in the middle of your chest.
- It contains 1500 mg of multi collagen as noted from the above sources
- Promotes Muscle Recovery and Joint and Bone Health
- Other health benefits to your gut, skin, even hair, and nails
- Made in the USA from non-GMO ingredients
- Independently tested
- Reasonably priced
- Discounts for both multiple purchases or subscription payments
- All the above benefits noted along with its non-GMO purity
- If you are vegetarian, sorry, this product is not for you. All its ingredients are animal-based
- Some users have reported that if you take too much, it causes skin outbreaks
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules are one of the most popular collagen supplements, and scientific research does indicate that having enough collagen can help our overall health.
Zenwise: Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid
Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid by Zenwise is similar to some of the products we reviewed earlier. It is very similar to the Vimerson supplement, with a significant difference. Unlike the other products reviewed, Zenwise includes Hyaluronic Acid and the herb, Boswellia. Here is a list of ingredients:
- Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM all of which support joint health, cartilage and collagen
- Curcumin from Turmeric
- Boswellia, an anti-inflammatory herb, also known as Frankincense
- Hyaluronic Acid, which is a naturally occurring ingredient that supports joints and flexibility
Here is why Hyaluronic Acid may help with your joint issues, according to the website Healthline.com:
- Lubricates joints, which helps relieve knee pain
- Keeps bones strong
- Speeds healing wounds
- Improves skin health
- Relieves symptoms of Acid Reflux
- Reduces “dry eye,” which sometimes affects older adults
- May prevent bladder pain in older women
Of course, for our purposes, the first two factors, maintaining joints and bones, are top priorities, but the other five benefits can only be bonuses. It’s also extremely safe to use.
The only cautionary issues are that it may not be advisable for pregnant women or people who have or have had cancer. The reason why Zenwise is included in this review is that it has the other well-regarded ingredients we’ve covered as well as including hyaluronic acid.
Zenwise also has the Indian Herb, Boswellia, otherwise known as Frankincense. The US government has issued an informational article pointing out its anti-inflammatory properties.
Here is a link to a video review
- The most common joint support ingredients, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM
- Two addition ingredients that help, hyaluronic acid and Boswellia
- Exceptional reputation, been around several years. 4.5-star rank
- Reasonably priced
- Several people have complained that these are pills are more difficult to swallow than capsules
- What’s more, “the pills are huge” according to some and virtually impossible to swallow
- They contain binders, so they’re not exactly purely ingredients
- Like other products with Glucosamine, these contain shellfish. Some people may be allergic to this.
Zenwise has been around for quite a while. It combines ingredients of different types, all in one pill. The pills may be large for some people; however, its 4.5-star rating indicates that it’s helped a lot of people, and for a fair price. For full details on Zenwise, go here.
Other Supplements for Knee Pain Relief and Recovery
In addition to the choices we have outlined above, there are a couple of other supplements you can use to help with arthritis pain and joint pain.
This is a powerful antioxidant and also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help you combat any joint pain you may be experiencing. It is also good for fighting against free radicals that can ultimately cause cell damage. Green tea is also a good source of epigallocatechin 3-gallate (EGCG), which is a type of polyphenol that has even more potent antioxidant benefits.
You can find green tea supplements in a powder or capsule form. However, before starting green tea supplements, you must talk with your doctor. Green tea contains caffeine and can be dangerous when too much has been consumed. Additionally, if you have any other underlying health conditions such as high blood pressure, kidney or liver problems, or stomach ulcers, your doctor may advise against green tea supplements.
Another supplement that is essential for those suffering from joint pain is Vitamin D. This is a vitamin that is vital for bone and muscle function. It is also known to have anti-inflammatory properties as well. Because of these properties, Vitamin D has been shown to help relieve joint pain, especially the joint pain in which the cause is inflammation.
When you have a Vitamin D deficiency, it can affect your physical and mental health, and not many people realize that their Vitamin D levels are low. Some of the symptoms of low Vitamin D include rheumatoid arthritis pain, muscle pain in the joints, and other pain occurring in the knees, legs, and hips.
This kind of deficiency has also been associated with the development of osteoarthritis, autoimmune arthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. A simple blood test at your doctor’s office can determine if you have low Vitamin D levels.
What I Use Personally for My Turmeric and Vitamin D–Liposomal Liquid Supplements
One of the most important issues surrounding supplements in general is bioavaliability. You can take all the supplements and vitamins you want. But what if your body simply can’t absorb them because they either pass through your digestive system and you lose them? Or, they get digested in the acidic environment of your stomach?
The solution to this problem is Liposomal Supplements.
For these reasons, scientists have developed some super high powered concentrates of vitamins and other supplements like Turmeric. I take these on a regular basis. They may be a bit pricier than the standard capsules and tablets, but the likelihood of your body absorbing them is much higher.
The company that manufactures these is Purathrive. It makes a variety of both vitamin and herbal supplements that use liposomal technology to protect the nutrient (for example, turmeric, Vitamin B12, C, D, and so on.
If you really want the ‘best of the best’ check them out. The information of Turmeric is found here.
Information of Vitamin D is found here.
Conclusion – The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Pain Sold on Amazon
As you can see, there are several approaches to knee and joint health:
- The most common herbal remedy is Turmeric and its extracts
- The combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin is also popular
- The additional component MSM is not found in all supplements but is certainly useful
- Omega 3 oil acts differently from the above types of ingredients, yet has a very solid following
- Likewise, collagen is such a common protein in the body, that supplementing for it has gotten people good results
- Additional natural chemicals such as Hyaluronic Acid, or the Indian herb, Boswellia, are also fairly common for their benefits
So, consider this an overview of what is available among the most widely used knee and joint supplements. We have also included links to other articles on this site, which talk about ingredients in joint pain relief products, as well as links to outside sources.
That way, we have made it easier for you to either make a decision to buy what you need or to research further. We hope that this review is helpful to you. Be sure to click on any of the links to check out individual products or product reviews.
In addition, if you just want to browse for yourself, you can click here to take you to the page for joint supplements in general.
Thanks for reading!
Knee Pain Supplement FAQ
What is the most effective joint supplement?
Many will recommend that Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfates are the best and most effective joint supplements you can choose. However, there are also other alternatives you will want to consider, including Vitamin D, ginger, Turmeric, Omega-3, and Green Tea.
What supplements help rebuild joint cartilage?
Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate are both components needed for healthy and normal joint cartilage. You can find these joint health supplements from reputable vendors online, such as Amazon, as well as in your local pharmacy. Vitamin C also promotes the building of collagen and cellular healing and can be found in a variety of different foods, including oranges, kale, red peppers, and strawberries.
Does magnesium help with arthritis?
Magnesium is good for arthritis and can help relieve inflammation. After just a week of taking magnesium supplements, you may be able to see a noticeable improvement in your health conditions. However, it can also take up to six months of use before seeing any results.
What can you take to help lubricate your joints?
Dietary supplements containing a combination of glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin along with an anti-inflammatory diet rich in omega-3’s can help lubricate your joints and decrease inflammation.