- 1 The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Nutrition and Healing
- 2 Turmeric–Spice as Medicine?
- 3 6 Top Brands of Joint Supplement Capsules and Pills
- 4.1 Omega 3 Oil (Fish and Vegetarian)
- 4.2 1. Wild Alaskan Fish Oil by Sports Research
- 4.3 2. NatureWise Organic Flaxseed Oil
- 4.4 Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
- 4.5 Zenwise: Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid
- 5 Conclusion–The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Pain Sold on Amazon
The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Nutrition and Healing
best supplements for knee pain
How to make sense of over 10,000 choices??? And that doesn’t count excellent products that are not even sold on Amazon. For a sneak preview of some of the supplements to be reviewed here, see this chart:
- They are extremely popular– in a search in the biggest marketplace online, these are some of Amazon’s top sellers with high reviews
- Well known reputable brands
- Diversity and quality of ingredients, and overall value
Turmeric–Spice as Medicine?
In comparison to other popular joint supplements, Turmeric, a spice used in curries, has soothing properties due to its active anti inflammatory factor Curcumin, that helps to reduce joint pain. Many joint supplements contain this wonderful herbal medicine and spice. So you might consider just buying some turmeric powder at your supermarket or natural foods store.
If you do that, it’s cheaper than the turmeric that’s made into capsules. On the other hand, if you don’t want to take the time to cook with turmeric, don’t like the taste or whatever, you can just buy capsules. You can read the reviews of them in this article. Turmeric in supplement form also may be stronger since they extract the active components.
If you like curries and spicy foods, you can purchase it in bulk at Asian markets at 1/10 of the price that it is sold for in grocery stores and supermarkets. But if you can’t find it in bulk locally, you can just go to Amazon and pick up a bag for a great price. Click on the image to check further.
Buy a pound of turmeric at a time, and it’ll last you up to a few months–and that’s using it every day. Try it as a smoothie! Go here for the recipe.
Oh—just one thing. If you use turmeric as a spice for its anti inflammatory and other health benefits, keep in mind that it does not absorb so well into your body, UNLESS you take some black pepper with it. So you can do the same thing to buy in bulk–much cheaper than buying in small quantities and it lasts a long time. Here is the best choice for bulk black pepper on Amazon:
6 Top Brands of Joint Supplement Capsules and Pills
BioSchwartz Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine
BioSchwartz Brand Turmeric Curcumin with Bioperine has just 3 ingredients:
- Turmeric Root (Curcuma Longa Root)
- Turmeric Extract
- Black Pepper Fruit (peppercorns) Extract, known as Bioperine
This earns Amazon’s Choice for ‘Turmeric Curcumin Supplement’. It has over 11,000 reviews and has a 4.6 star rating. About 80% are 5 star reviews, however if you go to the review area, the top ‘most helpful review’ is only a 1 Star Review. It points out that it has ‘only’ 150 mg of Turmeric Extract, and that the actual turmeric root doesn’t really work. This seems to be unfair. Many turmeric supplements have no extract, so having 150 mg should be considered a plus. The fact that the 80% of reviews are 5 star, and only 3% are 1 star says something. For some reason, the review area shows several 1 star reviews, and not so many 5 star reviews. This gives a false impression in this reviewer’s opinion.
Among its key advantages are:
- Extremely high quality control–Its suppliers and manufacturing is very careful and meticulous
- Tested to be free of heavy metals, which are toxic, and it’s also gluten and allergen free
- Made in the USA and tested for quality by third parties
Their disclaimer notes:
‘This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.’ You’ll find a similar disclaimer for all such supplements, per US government regulations.
- Very high ratings, high quality product
- Reasonably Priced with discounts available for bulk or subscription purchases
- For those who want a more comprehensive approach, other products have additional helpful ingredients
If you are looking for a basic, reasonably priced capsule form of turmeric with added extract and just the right amount of black pepper to allow your body to absorb it easily, then this is the product for you. Click here to visit the Schwartz Brand Turmeric with Bioperine page.
Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM
Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric & MSM supplement includes turmeric, as well as has several other joint repair and pain relief components. See the list below.
- Glucosamine Sulfate (1500 mg)
- Boswellia Extract (200 mg)
- Chondroitin Sulfate (150 mg)
- Turmeric (150 mg)
- Quercetin (25 mg)—anti-inflammatory and pain reliever
- Methionine (25 mg)—to facilitate Sulphur production for cartilage building
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM, 25 mg)
- Bromelain (25 mg)
- Anti-inflammatory and/or Pain Reliever = boswellia + chondroitin sulfate + turmeric + quercetin + MSM + bromelain = 575 mg
- Joint Lubrication, Repair, and Regeneration = glucosamine sulfate + methionine = 1525 mg
- Supports joint repair and regeneration
- Provides pain relief
- Reduces inflammation
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are two of the most common joint repair supplements. The two together have shown indications of actually aiding the growth of cartilage in joints. For those whose cartilage is worn or nearly gone, that can be a big factor in these two naturally occurring chemicals’ favor. For more details on their activity, go here, for a discussion of Glucosamin/Chondroitin in The Best Joint Supplement Ingredients for Knee Pain Relief.
It has over 2000 reviews and a 4.4 star rating. You can see the most helpful review by clicking here. Plus, as of this writing, it ranks as the #1 Best Seller in
The formula comes from all natural ingredients, is non GMO, non dairy, non gluten, and is made in the USA, although some ingredients come from overseas.
- In addition to turmeric, as discussed above, it has a number of other joint friendly factors
- Less pain-relieving impact compared to other supplements
- Only 2 joint repairing ingredients
- Unlike BioSchwartz, it contains only turmeric root extract, but no turmeric root
The Vimerson Health glucosamine chondroitin with MSM supplement is commendable for covering the basics of joint health. The combination of glucosamine sulfate, boswellia, chondroitin sulfate, MSM, and bromelain means it has several anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and joint repairing and regenerating effects.
It provides 6 ingredients that are beneficial for joints, plus turmeric, the spice, and a small amount of bromelain, which comes from pineapple. It does not include vitamins and minerals beneficial for joint health. As for turmeric and bromelain, you can also buy them as foods, since both add flavor and joy to your cooking. However, since we don’t necessarily eat turmeric spice as well as pineapple every day, Vimerson Health Glucosamine Chondroitin Turmeric and MSM is an excellent daily supplement to your regular (hopefully healthy, minimally junk food) diet.
We can say, of course, that a good diet will have all the vitamins and minerals we need. But we may need more than the ‘socalled’ Minimum Daily Requirement. Overall, a good product.
Omega 3 Oil (Fish and Vegetarian)
1. Wild Alaskan Fish Oil by Sports Research
Omega 3 Oil is one of the most important oils for health. It helps both joints, skin and cardiac health.Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil has a stunning 88% 4.8 star rating, and over 800 reviews. Its page points out that wild caught pollock from the frigid Bering Sea off the coast of Alaska give the fish their superior oil, which is then made into easy to swallow capsules. Plus, it has a rating of IFOS, the International Fish Oil Standard, of 5.
Given its high rating, and obvious popularity, what’s not to like? Well not much.
However, I had a couple of concerns that cause me to offer an alternative for you to check out. The Sports Research information points out that many fish oil supplements are made of mixed quality oils that may have limited benefit. That is true. So if you’re in the market for a good Omega 3 supplement from fish, you’re on the right track with the Sports Research Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil. Here are two things to carefully consider:
- While farmed fish has oil, studies show that they are fed so many antibiotics and dead fish meal, that they have a lot of toxins…not Good. That makes wild fish superior. However, wild fish populations are in decline, seriously. So if there is a way to get our Omega 3 without reducing the wild fish population, we should consider it.
- Second is an issue that nobody wants to talk about: Radiation.
In 2011, the nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan melted down spewing tons of highly radioactive material into the Pacific Ocean. There are conflicting studies, ranging from ‘the danger has passed’ fish is perfectly safe to eat’, to ‘there is a mass die-off of fish and other animals who eat fish, in the wake of mass radiation poisoning. So who’s right? Here are a couple of links, so if you want to check this issue out, and decide for yourself.
So what is the alternative? Flaxseed oil. Here is a Harvard University study regarding plant based versus fish based Omega 3 oil. If you decide that you want to include Omega 3’s into your supplement list, then the best choice would probably be Naturwise,
2. NatureWise Organic Flaxseed Oil
As you can see, Naturwise Organic Flaxseed Oil also has a very high rating and lots of reviews, so it’s a good bet for your hard earned money. The benefits are similar to Fish Oil Omega 3 oil, however, they’re not quite the same. As this study from University Health News points out:
<<“..no human studies have shown that intake of vegetarian omega-3 sources (ALA) plus certain vitamins, like vitamin B6, leads to optimal levels of EPA and DHA inside the body’s cells and tissues. Therefore, direct dietary intake of omega-3 fats rich in EPA and DHA through food or supplements is the most beneficial.”>>
Nevertheless, given the concerns related to contamination in wild fish and their declining populations, and the rising interest in vegetarian diets, I felt it’s a good idea to feature a good vegetarian alternative. What do you think? One last point is that the Harvard Study didn’t mention joint health as a factor in Omega 3. To put that doubt to rest, see this article in Web MD: “Supplements for Arthritis and Joint Pain”
- Good quality fish oil clearly shows positive out comes for heart, and joint health
- Flaxseed may also have good effects because it does contain Omega 3.
- Flaxseed is organic and vegetarian, so it has no discernible risks
- There is some possibility of contamination of ocean based fish oils
- Fish populations are declining
- Flaxseed does not seem to be as efficient as fish oil in delivering the right DHA and EPA to your body
Well, I suppose if you have read this far, you expect me to tell you what to do and what to buy, if you’re interested in Omega 3’s as an anti inflammatory for your joint pain. What I can say is that here are all the facts laid out for you. Both fish based and vegetarian based Omega 3s, the Wild Alaskan Fish Oil and the Naturewise Flaxseed Oils are at the top of their class. So it’s a judgment call on your part which to choose.
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
Collagen is the most common protein in our body, but over time as we age, it diminishes. That is most likely one of the factors in wrinkles, sore joints, and other health issues, such as muscle weakening, and even heart health. By supplying extra collagen, we can improve our knee health, as well as the other parts of our body. This particular product has very high rank of 4.8 stars, 84% 5 star and 14% 4 star. with only 1% 1 star or 3 star. Pretty compelling don’t you think?
Here are the main features of Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules
- Derived from 5 kinds of collagen–Grass Fed Beef, Chicken, Fish, Eggshell Membrane (the inner ‘skin’ inside the eggshell) and Bird Sternum (the sternum is the ‘chest bone’ at the base of your ribs in the middle of your chest.
- It contains 1500 mg of multi collagen as noted from the above sources
- Promotes Muscle Recovery and Joint and Bone Health
- Other health benefits to your gut, skin, even hair and nails
- Made in the USA from non GMO ingredients
- Independently tested
As noted, this Collagen supplement has over 800 reviews, some fairly extensive. Click on this link to see the review considered the most helpful.
- Reasonably priced
- Discounts for both multiple purchases or for subscription payments
- All the above benefits noted along with its non GMO purity
- If you are vegetarian, sorry this product is not for you. All its ingredients are animal based
- Some users have reported that if you take too much it causes skin outbreaks
Premium Multi Collagen Peptide Capsules are one of the most popular collagen supplements, and scientific research does indicate that having enough collagen can help our overall health. To see the full details, click here.
Zenwise: Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid
Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Curcumin – Joint Supplement with Hyaluronic Acid by Zenwise is similar to some of the products we reviewed earlier. It is very similar to the Vimerson supplement, with an important difference. Unlike the other products reviewed, Zenwise includes Hyaluronic Acid and the herb, Bosellia. Here is a list of ingredients:
- Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM all of which support joint health, cartilage and collagen
- Curcumin from Turmeric
- Boswellia, an anti inflammatory herb, also known as Frankincense
- Hyaluronic Acid, which is a naturally occurring ingredient that supports joints and flexibility
Here is why Hyaluronic Acid may help with your joint issues, according to the website Healthline.com:
- Lubricates joints, which helps relieve knee pain
- Keeps bones strong
- Speeds healing wounds
- Improves skin health
- Relieves symptoms of Acid Reflux
- Reduces “dry eye”, which sometimes affects older adults
- May prevent bladder pain in older women
Of course, for our purposes, the first two factors, maintaining joints and bones are top priorities, but the other 5 benefits can only be bonuses. It’s also extremely safe to use. The only cautionary issues are that it may not be advisable for pregnant women or people who have or have had cancer. The reason why Zenwise is included in this review is because it has the other well regarded ingredients we’ve covered as well as including hyaluronic acid.
Zenwise also has the Indian Herb, Boswellia, otherwise known as Frankincense. The US government has issued an informational article pointing out its anti inflammatory properties.
From a customer standpoint, Zenwise Joint Supplement has over 2000 reviews, 90% either 4 or 5 star and has been around for several years, so it has an good reputation. Here is link to a video review
- The most common joint support ingredients, Glucosamin, Chondroitin and MSM
- Two addition ingredients that help, hyaluronic acid and boswellia
- Fine reputation, been around several years. 4.5 star rank
- Reasonably priced
- Several people have complained that these are pills are more difficult to swallow than capsules
- What’s more, “the pills are huge” according to some and virtually impossible to swallow
- They contain binders, so they’re not exactly purely ingredients
- Like other products with Glucosamine, these contain shell fish. Some people maybe allergic to this.
Zenwise has been around for quite awhile. It combines ingredients of different types all in one pill. The pills may be large for some people, however, its 4.5 star rating indicates that it’s helped a lot of people, and for a fair price. For full details on Zenwise, go here.
Conclusion–The 6 Best Supplements for Knee Pain Sold on Amazon
As you can see, there are a number of approaches to knee and joint health.
- The most common herbal remedy is Turmeric and its extracts
- The combination of Glucosamin and Chondroitin is also popular
- The additional component MSM is not found in all supplements but is certainly useful
- Omega 3 oil acts differently from the above types of ingredients, yet has a very solid following
- Likewise, collagen is such a common protein in the body, that supplementing for it has gotten people good results
- Additional natural chemicals such as Hyaluronic Acid, or the Indian herb, Boswellia, are also fairly common for their benefits
So consider this an overview of what is available among the most widely used knee and joint supplements. We have also included links to other articles on this site, which talk about ingredients in joint pain relief products, as well as links to outside sources. That way, we have made it easier for you to either make a decision to buy what you need, or to research further. We hope that this review is helpful for you. Be sure to click on any of the links to check out individual products or product reviews.
In addition, if you just want to browse for yourself, you can click here to take you to the page for joint supplements in general.
Thanks for reading!